Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ham Fried Rice

No post for yesterday, because it was Tuesday and it was boring. Except for Cub Scouts. I am the Bear den leader; that would be 9-year old boys. We had our den meeting yesterday and we made placemats for our Blue and Gold banquet next month. And I brought popcorn for a snack. Holy cow! You would think those boys never get popcorn. And then I remembered that they are 9-years old and boys. Duh!

Today was Wednesday. No really, you ask. Yes, really I say. The fact that it is Wednesday means volunteering at the kids school. Mainly for Colby's teacher. I say teacher and not class because by the time I get there, Colby's class has moved on to other things and the 5th grade class his teacher has is in the classroom. They call me Cookie Monster. This is because the first time I came to the class, I wore my Cookie Monster t-shirt and they always call me this now. Even the teacher!

Wednesday night means Ham Fried Rice (well, every other Wednesday). I made up a recipe for it years ago and we've been eating it ever since. I will end today's post with my recipe for Ham Fried Rice.

Ingredients
4 cups Turkey Ham, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
2 cups sliced carrots (I like to use the baby carrots because they are small already)
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
4-6 eggs
ginger, to taste
soy sauce, to taste
sesame oil, to taste
3 cups uncooked medium grain rice, cooked according to directions (you want sticky rice when you make this)

I like to make my rice in a rice cooker. You can make it however you want just don't use instant rice. While the rice is cooking, cut up your ingredients. Add turkey ham to hot wok and cook until browned well. Remove ham from pan. Add eggs and scramble. Return ham to wok with eggs and add carrots and onion. Toss to combine. Add ginger to taste. Add rice. I usually don't use all the rice that has been cooked, but you can add as much or as little as you want. Toss to combine and pour soy sauce over mixture. Use as much soy sauce as you think you need. Drizzle with sesame oil. Stir to combine. Enjoy!

Hope you like the recipe.



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you drizzled sesame oil in it, no wonder I can't make it the same.

    ReplyDelete